The Great American Oscar Draft
Because drafts are great for making even the least competitive things into a competition, we thought it would be fun to do a draft for the Oscars. We invited a few of our close friends to play along.
- All draft picks were chosen before the nominations are announced (Jan 16)
- Only awards included in the live televised show are included in the results.
- When a movie is picked, it gets credit for all nominations branched under the film (including acting noms)
- Films get 1 point for every nomination it receives and an additional 4 for every award it wins.
- The board is organized by tiers for convenience, but anyone can pick any movie they want for any round.
- It's a snake draft, so the last person to pick one round, picks first the next round.
- The drafters are not professional handicappers, and it's all in good fun, which means anyone is allowed to pick The Smurfs 2 in the first round if they're so inclined BUT
- The person who gets the most points will receive a fantastic movie related prize (which may or may not be the Star Wars pen we received in a cereal box)
Get to know the Drafters:
Favorite Part: the red carpet and all the pretty dresses!
Worst Part: when they give acceptance speeches and they are so long and the music starts playing and instead of taking the hint they just talk over the music until they are screaming and it is awkward for everyone
Best Food to Eat During the Show: haha kind of a food but I'm going to go with wine...
Favorite Movie to win Best Picture: I have to go with LOTR, its my favorite
Least Favorite: NA
Best Oscar Winning acting performance: uhhhhh I loved Sandra bullock so I'll go with her...
Favorite part of the Oscars: Eating during them
Worst Part: Performance of the songs, nearly everything that isn't the awards or jokes/monologues
Best Food to eat during the show: Jalapeno Popper Dip
Favorite Movie to Win Best Picture: Annie Hall
Least Favorite: Shakespeare in Love
Best Oscar winning acting performance: Frances McDormand -Fargo
Favorite part of the Oscars: Red carpet dresses
Worst Part: All the good awards are late
Best Food to eat during the show: I am not sure, I'll say pigs in a blanket cause I have a craving for them right now even though it's 930 am.
Favorite Movie to Win Best Picture: Argo, duh! Second favorite: Forrest Gump!
Least Favorite: LOTR. Sorry Em!
Best Oscar winning acting performance: Tom Hanks in Forrest Gump, or Anthony Hopkins in Silence of the Lambs
Favorite part of the Oscars: I don't think I've ever watched the Oscars for more than 15 minutes so my favorite part is that because of this Oscar award draft ill have a reason to care this year. Good job Bob!
Worst Part: Worst part is the 15 mins that I watch each year.
Best Food to eat during the show: The Oscars are basically the movie version of the Super Bowl so lots of alcohol and any food that is unhealthy.
Favorite Movie to Win Best Picture: Godfather Part 2
Least Favorite: I have no ill will towards any of these they're all winners in my book
Best Oscar winning acting performance: I'm gonna steal Bob's answer because she is such a super lady
Favorite part of the Oscars: The opening monologue
Worst Part: Whoopi Goldberg is on an 11 year dry spell from being the Oscar host. What the heck!?
Best Food to eat during the show: Za
Favorite Movie to Win Best Picture: The Departed
Least Favorite: I like all the one I've seen so I'll take an educated guess and say West Side Story is probably bad
Best Oscar winning acting performance: Daniel Day Lewis in There Will Be Blood, especially because he gave Paul Dano his just deserts for Little Miss Sunshine.
Favorite part of the Oscars: Also fancy smancy dresses (Ed note: That is the trifecta for the three women in our draft. Feminists, don't hate us.)
Worst Part: Long acceptance speeches talking about things not related to their Oscar
Best Food to eat during the show: Guacamole and Quesadillas. Yum!
Favorite Movie to Win Best Picture: Rebecca! So good!
Least Favorite: LOTR. I am not a fan of any of them, sorry!
Best Oscar winning acting performance:Kathy Bates in Misery, she is very good at playing extremely creepy!
Without further adieu, here is the draft!
Some explanations for picks:
- 12 Years a Slave because I hear it's amazing
- The Hobbit because I think it could get a lot of random awards like sound editing, special effects etc
- Great Gatsby because I loved the music
- Frozen because I want to see it!
- Gravity in hopes of cleaning the technical awards and a shot at best picture/ director
- All is Lost because the academy likes to vote for movies it thinks looks boring
- Before Midnight because it's my favorite movie I've seen this year and I think it's a good bet for a best original screenplay nod
- The Book Thief even though it falls in the shameful category of failed Oscar bait, because it may still be getting some technical nominations like costume and makeup
- Dallas Buyers Club because I've heard McConaughey is great in it (btw that is a VERY hard name to spell)
- Hunger Games because i think it'll get noms for costume/score
- The Way Way Back. Because I liked it and I think it might get a nod for its quirky screenplay.
- Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 to take a stab at best animated pic and because I like eating meatballs
- The Wolf of Wall Street because I have a man crush on DiCaprio
- Saving Mr Banks even though it goes against everything I stand for by giving Colin farrell work
- Enough Said to honor the late great Tony Soprano
- Blackfish because the movie's site describes it as "a mesmerizing psychological thriller with a killer whale at the centre" and also compares it to Grizzly Man
- American Hustle because Bradley Cooper's perm is the bravest physical change by an actor since Eddie Murphy in Norbit
- Inside Llewyn Davis is my pick because it's a coen brother's period piece which gives it the possibility of a bunch of nominations
- Nebraska because it's black and white
- Short Term 12 because rotten tomatoes seems to love it
- 20 feet from Stardom because it's the front runner for best documentary
- Captain Phillips cause Tom Hanks is Oscar gold!
- The Butler because I heard the acting was very powerful!
- Blue is the Warmest Color because it won highest prize in the Cannes Film Festival
- Wadjda because the Academy loves firsts and this is the first film by a female Saudi film maker.
- Gloria because the poster says "Not to Miss!"
AND that's it! Bet on our bets and tell us who you think is going to win. We'll update this when nominations are announced and again, when the Oscars air so stay tuned!