Ben Affleck's Movie Genius: A Ranking of Box Office Successes
As most people who know me are aware, I think that Ben Affleck is a cinematic genius. This is not just because he is from Boston (alright, it helps), but mostly because he is awesome. Unlike the Brad Pitts, Affleck’s personal life doesn’t overshadow is behind-the-scenes movie endeavors; unlike the Johnny Depps, his quirkiness doesn’t justify entire feature films. Below is a list of famous Ben Affleck movies. Can you rank them by box office sales on their opening weekends? (source: BoxOfficeMojo.com)
· Good Will Hunting – The movie that catapulted Ben to fame and earned him an Oscar.
· Gigli – The movie that catapulted Ben to the bottom and earned him (unintentional) laughs.
· Argo – Five stars by my book; Affleck stars in and directed this movie about the Iran hostage crisis
· The Town – What’s better than Affleck in Boston?
· Jersey Girl – This is an often overlooked Affleck movie, but I enjoy it for its honesty and earnestness. We don’t often see Affleck in this fatherly role
· Daredevil – So, this might not be cinematic genius, but it did put him and his future wife together onscreen. Plus we can only assume that it prepped him for his upcoming Batman role
· Pearl Harbor – What ever happened to Josh Hartnett?
· Shakespeare in Love – If you like Shakespeare, you’ll love this movie (ha, ha)
· Gone Baby Gone – Arguably Affleck’s biggest comeback splash into legitimate feature films
· Shakespeare in Love $224,012
· Good Will Hunting $272,912
· Gigli $3,753,518
· Gone Baby Gone $5,501,406
· Jersey Girl $8,319,171
· Argo $19,458,109
· The Town $23,808,032
· Daredevil $40,310,419
· Pearl Harbor $59,078,91